Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Hopefully an end is in sight

I was scheduled to get the shot Thursday. I had an appointment at 11am. The night before I was having a panic attack. I was going back and forth with the decision. So Thursday morning I called and canceled the appointment, and asked for a second opinion. I needed a referal to maternal fetal medicine. I spent the whole day trying to get in to see an OB, but no one would see me. The first appointment I could get with MFM was Monday at 2pm. I was scared to go the entire weekend given that my beta was still rising.
I ended up getting the methotrexate shot on Friday. I had gone that morning for a beta, then we spent the day down at the campground. Karen the nurse called me that afternoon and said my beta had increased from 310 on Monday to 584 Friday. So in 4 days it hadn't doubled. I was defeated. I was also scared shitless. I felt like a ticking time bomb. Every little pain or sensation made me wonde if I was about to rupture (if this was in fact ectopic). Karen again informed me that it was again medical advice if I still chose to not have the shot. I told her that no, I would wait till Monday when i got my second opinion. I hung up the phone and really thought. The number didn't double...so that was bad in terms of viability. But, it rose significantly which is bad in terms of ectopic. So bad all around. Matt and talked about it and I begged him to just tell me what to do. Of course he was just as lost as I was. I finally decided I needed to end this. I decided I would drive up to Quincy and get the shot. I felt at peace with the decision. I think I just needed to hear that the number did NOT double. It made the decision easier. I drove 45 minutes up to Quincy, dropped my draws and got 2 shots in my butt. Then I drove back to Plymouth. Done, no big deal.
That night matt left for work and the kids and I stayed at the camper. Around 9pm I got so sick. I felt like I had the flu. I couldn't top peeing, I ached, I was nautious, chills etc. It was pretty scary how sick I got. I was/am a bit pissed that the nurse/doctor didn't mention this as a side effect. Fortunately I had done enough of my own research to know this was normal. It was a rough night and I really wished Matt was there. The next day I felt shitty still, but not as bad.
I went for another beta Tuesday and that result was 700 and something. 760 maybe? I forget. Anyways it had risen but I was told that it is normal for a rise, but by this coming Frday they want a 15% decrease. Im praying it does that. I really don't want another shot. That stuff is no joke!!

2 comments:

  1. Good Luck today Sarah. I'm sure today will be difficult regardless, but try to look at the positive...you are one step closer to starting another cyle.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.